Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent

The Heretic's Daughter The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I read this book as our December selection for the online book club WordShakers, hosted by Sheila! Join us for some great fun!

I love books about the Salem Witch trials. I don't know why, they just intrigue me. This one did not disappoint either! In The Heretic's Daughter, Kathleen Kent weaves a tale of a young girl who finds a letter written by her grandmother detailing the struggles she experienced during this time in history.

Sarah Carrier is a young nine year old girl when all the troubles begin. The pox ruins many families chances of survival and when Sarah's family wants to move to a new town, they are scrutinized for many reasons. Family members develop the pox and then they are shunned. On top of that, suscpicions arise that Martha, Sarah's mother, is a witch.

I found it very interesting to see how the author wove her story based on stories passed down through the years of her family's history. It's a shame that so many people were put to death for this mockery of the young girls who made the false accusations. It really makes you want to watch your back in case history were to repeat itself!!

One of the discussion questions for this book asks if the opinion of those hung for these witchcraft crimes has changes after reading this book. I would have to say to a certain extent, yes. Only because they stood for the truth, and the truth is what is the most important. They were not willing to bow down to the demands of society and conform. Had these few chosen individuals lied and said they were in fact witches, I believe many more would have ultimately perished. I also think that the young girls would have just continued on weeding out those who they didn't like or those who didn't fit into their idea of a utopian society.

Overall, I recommend this book and hope that you will enjoy it as much as I did. Happy Reading!

View all my reviews >>

Bookmark and Share







2 comments:

  1. Sheila (Bookjourney)December 31, 2009 at 8:43 PM

    Oh look at you! I have to get back on this one... I totally dropped the ball on this. Will get back on this soon and will still ine up our group review. You have inspired me to get back to this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome read! I'm adding it to my must read list.

    ReplyDelete