Friday, September 4, 2009
The Science of Life After Death by Stephen Martin
This book grips the reader from the very beginning, making reference to someone having an out of body experience during a surgical procedure. It reminded me a lot of the movie Awake
[author:Stephen Martin|1077326] invites the reader into his book to learn more about the life after death phenomenon. I would warn readers that this book requires an open mind. There are many theories presented that are not popular, while others are widely popular. There is discussion of ESP, Out of Body Experiences (OBE), use of mediums to connect with those who have gone on, etc. There were a few things that I'm not sure about...mainly because I've not personally witnessed them or had some sort of personal experience.
While reading this book, it reminded me of a patient that I had several years ago. She was in the final stages of death and it was very early in the morning. She was screaming this horrid scream (one of those you just don't forget) and so I went in to sit with her. She had no family with her and I couldn't bear to let this woman breathe her last on her own. After sitting there for a few minutes, she asked me to uncover her feet, that they were really hot. A few minutes later, she asked me to uncover her legs. This went on for awhile and soon she was drenched in sweat and writhing in pain. She told me to be a better person than she was because she was experiencing hell and it was something she hoped no one would ever have to experience. Before her final breaths, she was wrapped in ice covered blankets to hopefully make her transition somewhat more peaceful. This was the most horrid death that I've ever witnessed.
On the flip side of that, I've had many patients tell me about the light and the calming effect of that light. They seemed to have a peaceful death and the family handled it much better than the previous situation.
There will always be skeptics out there but if this book is approached with an open mind, you might see where some of these theories might hold some weight.
Give this book a chance! It is an enjoyable read and I feel like I might have a somewhat different perspective on life after death. Be sure to check out the author's website!
Because this is such a good read, I'm willing to part with my copy so you can read it before it's released!! This contest is for an ARC copy.
To enter, please leave your email address along with the answer to this question: Have you personally ever experienced an out of body experience or have you know of someone who has? Please share!!
1. Please include your email address with your answer, so that I can contact you if you win. You will have 3 days to respond to the email. You must put your email address in the comments or your entry is invalid. Format like faithfulgirl4[at]gmail[dot]com
2. For an extra entry, sign up to be a follower. If you're already a follower, let me know and you'll get the extra entry as well.
3. For another extra entry, subscribe via googlereader, blogger or by email and let me know that you do.
4. For another entry, blog about this giveaway and send me the link.
5. For another entry, Tweet about this contest and include @faithfulgirl along with website link.
6. For another entry, enter to win another of my giveaways and tell me that you have entered by leaving a comment here as to which one.
7. Leave a separate comment for each entry or you'll only be entered once.
The contest is limited to US and Canada only. No P.O. boxes. The contest ends at 11:59 pm EST on Sept 17, 2009.