Sunday, September 27, 2009

Book Review: Meggie's Remains by Joanne Sundell


First of all, let me begin by saying that I've never read Jane Eyre. I know, I need to get with it!! I will definitely be reading it after completing this book!

I was drawn to this book because of the cover and the title. When it came in the mail, I dove in and began reading it every chance I had. It took me awhile to get into this book, and truthfully, I almost gave up. Something kept driving me back to the pages of this story and I'm so glad that I followed through and finished this book. It is a story that you shouldn't miss!!

Meghan "Meggie" McMurphy is a young woman who has had an extremely hard life. At the age of four, she finds herself in an orphanage at the hands of a cruel head mistress. The cruelty continues when, at the tender age of 17, the head mistress sends Meggie out on a mission to deliver some important papers to one Benjamin Howard. Will Meggie ever get away from the cruel confines of her life?

Once Benjamin thinks she is dead, Meggie takes what little is left of her belongings and leaves Boston for Denver. Sadly, her life doesn't get any better and she feels the devil nipping at her heels. She meets some wonderful people along the way who show her that life can be better and things begin to look up for Meggie. She obtains a job as a teacher and enjoys her work. She also meets Ethan and instantly feels something for him. However, due to her infatuation with Edward from Jane Eyre, Ethan thinks that she is in love with another man and her troubles continue again.

What remains of Meggie throughout this book is remarkable. I was pleasantly surprised with this story and, as mentioned earlier, will find a copy of Jane Eyre and read it after reading this delightful story. I will warn those who are concerned about language and intimate scenes that there is quite a bit of both.

I hope you will give Meggie's Remains a chance. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

I would like to thank the author for sending me this book to read. Thanks Joanne!

Bookmark and Share







1 comment:

  1. so this is the modern version of jane eyre and the original is for the innocents? lol...ok after you read the original, you have to do a comparison and tell us which version you like best. that one i really want to read!!!

    ReplyDelete