Tuesday, September 15, 2009

BBAW Interview Swap: Meet Tricia!!



I am so excited to introduce Tricia to you today!! There's so much to learn about her, so without further ado, let's start the introductions!! Thank you Tricia for taking the time to answer some questions and let us get to know you. You can visit with Tricia over at Library Queue. She'd love to have you!
1. Who or what interested you in the world of blogging?

I had a personal blog for about 18 months before I started a book blog. I was at Rutgers getting my Masters in Library and Information Science and one of my co-students had a link to some book blogs on her blog. I started reading them and realized I wanted to start one too! Mainly, I started a book blog because my friends and family wanted to know what I was reading and what I would recommend. Giving them a URL was much easier than wracking my brain trying to come up with something on the spot!

2. You mainly blog about books, but what other topics might we see on your blog?

Probably not much else. I have kept my personal blog separate from the book blogging world. It is interesting though as I look back that the blogs where I do share some personal snippets are the blogs that get the most comments!

3. What would you say is your favorite genre of books? Your list looks pretty eclectic!!

Wow! I’ve never thought of myself as eclectic. Well, I used to love mysteries, but since library school I’ve really fallen in love with YA. Probably the biggest surprise to me is how much I’ve started enjoying fantasy. Even a year ago I didn’t read nearly as much as I do right now. I’m really enjoying it!

4. We have many books either read or to-be-read in common. Looking at your list of the books you've read in 2009, what would you say your top 3 choices would be?

Hmmm, that’s tough. Probably 84, Charing Cross Road, When You Reach Me, and my all-time favorite, These Is My Words.

5. I have learned that you are the creator of Book Blogs on the Ning.com network. How long have you been doing this and who or what inspired you to start this incredible network?

I started Book Blog on Ning in April 2008. I was taking a social software class for my MLIS and learned about Ning there. I thought it would be fun to have a place where book bloggers could congregate. The whole thing really took off more than I anticipated, and I couldn’t be happier about it!

6. We both have 4 kids and know what a challenge that raising them can be. How do you instill the importance of reading into your children?

Most importantly, by example. When they see that I love to read and that I read for fun, I think that inspires them. When I find my kids are sneakily reading late into the night, I’m secretly pleased. I truly believe that reading should be fun, and I never want my kids to see it as drudgery.

7. If you were to win a shopping spree to any store in the world, where would you shop and what would you buy?

I would love a shopping spree in Anthropologie. I would by clothes, shoes, jewelry, and fun stuff for my house. I love that store!

8. Do you think a person should judge a book by its cover? Why or why not?

Nope. Most authors have nothing to do with their covers, so it isn’t fair to their work to judge based on the cover. Plus, so many great classics have the most boring covers imaginable!

9. How many books would you estimate that you own?

About 600, not including the kids’ books.

10. What would you say is the top book on your wishlist? (Christmas is coming soon!!)

I’m looking forward to reading Front and Center by Catherine Gilbert Murdock and Scarlett Fever by Maureen Johnson.

11. There has been a lot of talk lately about book bloggers disclosing their sources for the books that they obtain. What do you think about this? Should bloggers disclose their sources or not?

I think bloggers should disclose if they received the book from the publisher/publicist. If nothing else, I think it is just good manners to acknowledge that a book has been received for free.

12. Where is your favorite place to read?

I read pretty much anywhere--in bed, on the couch, in a chair, in the carpool line. But, my bed is probably my favorite.

13. What book would you like most to be made into a movie?

Hunger Games.

14. What items must be in place before you sit down to read?

My pillows have to be arranged just right.

15. Would you rather borrow or purchase the books you read?

Both. I love the library and truly believe in their inherent community benefits. I’m not a big re-reader, so the library is also an economical choice if I know I’m not going to read it again. But I also really enjoy buying books I know I’ll want to have or lend out, or just to support an author I really like. I also really like BookMooch.

16. If you could dine with any author of your choosing, alive or dead, who would it be?

Jane Austen, of course.



Bookmark and Share







3 comments:

  1. Serena (SavvyVerseWit)September 15, 2009 at 9:53 AM

    Great Interview post. I really like that she says we should teach children to love reading through example...isn't that how it is for everything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://bibliophilebythesea.blogspot.com/September 15, 2009 at 7:15 PM

    Great interview. I'd dine with Hemingway (and his cats) LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful interview! I really enjoyed getting to know a little more about Tricia. She's done a wonderful job with the Book Blog site. I love it.

    ReplyDelete