Monday, July 27, 2009

The Light, the Dark, and Ember Between

The Light, the Dark, and Ember Between The Light, the Dark, and Ember Between by J. W. Nicklaus


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is a book of about 15 short stories written by J.W. Nicklaus. There is a little drama, humor, romance, and more in this book. I enjoyed reading it during a conference when the topics did not interest me as much as the book did! I found it hard to put the book down at times because the stories were so captivating. In my opinion, the most memorable stories in the book are the following with a short review:

Requiem for Linny: I enjoyed this story because it reminded me of my grandmother a little bit. There are some things that people hang on to and have a hard time letting go. Reflecting back on this today, the story means a little more as a young man I know died in a drowning accident over the weekend. He's the second in my church in 3 days to drown. Puts a different spin on a story like this.

10:18-All I can say about this one is "WOW". If this one doesn't change your life....well, it SHOULD change your life!!

One Washington Diner: This one I read in the doctor's office this morning and needless to say, the tears in my eyes caused my doctor some concern when he finally came in my room. This was one of my favorites. It's a very sweet love story that had me reflecting back on my marriage and our relationship and how I might improve that.

Winter Rose: Another tear jerker...this is a MUST read. If you only read one story in this book, make it this one. In light of present world events it puts some things in perspective.

In the Name of Love: This is the only non-fiction story in this book. It's very personal and will strike a chord with anyone with a heart.

While these were my favorites, I don't want to take away anything from the other stories. They were all enjoyable and I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for some inspiration, a "feel good" story, or who is just looking for a quick read while at a conference, the doctor's office, or whereever else the world might take you.

View all my reviews >>

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

  1. Oh I want to read this!

    Sorry about the sad week with your church family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila (bookjourney)July 27, 2009 at 10:41 PM

    I had the same thought son this book. Just a great read with short stories that make you think or make you smile... great bedside book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never get tired of reading these comments! ;^)

    When I wrote the stories I hadn't any idea I would wind up publishing them--and now that they're out for anyone to read, I'm ceaselessly tickled to read of people who have had such emotional reactions to them.

    I'm only now beginning down the road of promotion, but what a rewarding journey it has been thus far!

    Thank you very much for your time and kindness :^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was an honor and a pleasure to review this book for you!! I thoroughly enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete