Wednesday, July 22, 2009
The Enclave: Some Thought Provoking Questions
Today is the last day of the Christian Science Fiction/Fantasy Blog Tour about a new release by Karen Hancock, The Enclave.
This book focused on genetic experimentation. I would like to have a *friendly* discussion with you about some things that are occurring in our world and get your thoughts. I am a nurse by profession (although I'm no longer at the bedside, I do remain up-to-date on all matters bedside!) and have personally seen some of these things and heard of them. These are not easy questions and I do not profess to have the answers. I do have strong feelings about these things though!
1. What do you think of creating an embryo in a lab for the sake of creating the "perfect" child?
2. If the child is not perfect, should the stem cells be used, for say, possibly curing Alzheimer's?
3. How do you feel about the use of more animal parts in research concerning the possibility of implanting these parts into humans for the curing of a disease?
4. Overall, how do you feel about genetic manipulation?
5. What would you do if you were hired to work in a lab like K-J and started finding out some unethical things happening? Would you participate or blow the whistle? Why?
Again, I hope we can have a friendly dialog about these questions because these are things that are either happening or will be happening soon. I do not want any flaming of others for their opinion. I have high schoolers who can discuss these things in a very civilized manner so I know this conversation can occur.
I do hope you will take a few minutes to go and visit others blogs on this tour:
CSFF Blog Tour
D. G. D. Davidson
Todd Michael Greene
Heather R. Hunt
Rebecca LuElla Miller
John W. Otte
Rachel Starr Thomson
Also, remember I'm giving this book away this evening at 11:59 pm. Be sure to sign up to win this great book if you haven't already!