Friday, October 23, 2009

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The Help The Help by Kathryn Stockett


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
By far, THE BEST BOOK OF 2009!!! This is a MUST read for everyone!!

Miss Hilly is just the worst boss to work for and Aibileen, Constantine, Minny and others know first hand. This wonderful book, based back in the 1960's, chronicles the lives of black house slaves and their white masters/mistresses. There is love, suspense, comedy, and of course, uncomfortable issues.

When Skeeter, a white woman, starts befriending the help after seeing the way that they can (and are) mistreated, a wonderful idea is born and the residents of this small Mississippi town are in for the shock of their lives. Taking risks, Skeeter meets with the help in secret to work on their little project. I think she ultimately learns the best lesson of all, that despite skin color, women can work together for the greater good.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you might even want to throw the book before you are finished. I promise you the end is well worth the wait!! If you don't believe in Karma before reading this book, it just might change your mind!

Amazingly, this is Kathryn Stockett's first novel. I sure hope it won't be her last!!

I read this book on recommendation of my online book club, The Word Shakers. I purchased this book from Amazon.

View all my reviews >>

Bookmark and Share







3 comments:

  1. A Bookshelf MonstrosityOctober 24, 2009 at 10:04 AM

    Oh, I'm so glad to see that you enjoyed this book. Also one of my top read for the year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my fav book of 2009 as well; great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book too. Definitely a 5 star for me.

    ReplyDelete