Friday, October 9, 2009

Beautiful Mess: The Story of Diamond Rio by Tom Roland

Beautiful Mess: The Story of Diamond Rio (NelsonFree) Beautiful Mess: The Story of Diamond Rio by Diamond Rio


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Can a band comprised of six very talented but very different musicians make a difference with their music?

What made it possible for Diamond Rio to weather the storms inherent in the fickle world of fame and fortune and go more than two decades without a single lineup change? Any reader in search of transparency and a behind-the-scenes look into the life of the band as a unit as well as the individual lives of the players and singers will be well satisfied. Can true loyalty exist within the competitive, seemingly unforgiving music industry? In A Beautiful Mess, Marty Roe, Dan Truman, Jimmy Olander, Brian Prout, Gene Johnson, and Dana Williams each has an entire chapter devoted to his personal and professional life. A Beautiful Mess is a wild ride from the edge of disaster and a little-known secret to an ongoing heart-warming revival.

I have always been a fan of Diamond Rio and when I received the opportunity from Thomas Nelson Publishing to review this book, I was ecstatic! There is so much that I didn't know about this group, from their humble beginnings to their rocky climb into the music industry to the personal lives of each band member. As someone who once pursued the music industry, I can appreciate some of the struggles (I didn't persist as long as they did by a long shot) that they faced. I wondered as I read this book though, did I see THEM at Opryland when I loved the Country Music USA show? I don't remember when I went there!

Getting a "backstage pass" into the lives of these six men put into perspective a little more of what their music actually means. Diamond Rio has always prided themselves on "good clean country" music without the sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

Some of my favorite songs recorded by Diamond Rio include: Meet in the Middle (their first hit!), This Romeo Ain't Got Julie Yet, Bubba Hyde, One More Day, and Beautiful Mess.

Life is a Beautiful Mess, you just have to be prepared for the ride!



Source of book: Received from the publisher, Thomas Nelson. I did not receive any monetary compensation for this review.

View all my reviews >>

Bookmark and Share







No comments:

Post a Comment