Saturday, June 25, 2022

The Lie That Binds by Amy Argent

 

The Lie That BindsThe Lie That Binds by Amy Argent
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

High school years are tough! Everyone is jockeying for position whether it be with the nerds, jocks, preppies, stoners, etc. Imagine all that stress and being dealt a huge health blow right before your freshman year. Nathan's life is crumbling but no one knows except his family and his teachers.

Holly and her dad just moved to the area. Holly's dad is the new chief of police. No pressure for a new kid, eh? So many challenging things going through Holly's head until she confronts this bully Nathan one day. The next few hours will have her questioning that confrontation.

I really enjoyed this book and wanted to give it 5 stars. However, being the mother of two teenagers, the language and the pretty descriptive "adult" scenes left me challenged. I know that this happens in reality but I would not encourage my children to read this book. The characters are loveable and understandable. Some of them I loved more than others, some of them I grew to love more as I read and learned more about them. The nicknames for the various characters did become a little bit difficult to keep up with at times, especially when interchanging the real names with the nick names. I found "GothGirl" and Ivan to be my favorite characters and I love to read a spin-off about them!!

Overall, an enjoyable book. It encompasses many difficult topics and I believe they are all represented very fairly. This book kept my attention and I read it in 2 sittings (only because my Kindle died and I had to recharge it!).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment