Sunday, November 8, 2009

Movie Review: A Christmas Carol starring Jim Carrey


This is my first, and hopefully not my last movie review! Yesterday, we took the family to see "A Christmas Carol" starring Jim Carrey. This particular review will be on the 3D version of the movie.

I do not have enough words to tell you just how wonderful this movie really is!! I have been a fan of Jim Carrey for many, many years and this movie just proves even more what a great actor he is! I didn't realize until the credits rolled that he played several of the parts!

I loved the 3D aspects of this show! It was (obviously) snowing throughout the entire movie but there were times it looked like you could stick your hand out and feel the snow. Being from the North (and now suffering in the South), I LOVED this part!! I love snow and never get to see enough of it. This would make a great 4D movie too!

There were parts of this movie that I thought might scare my little ones (ages 3 and 5). The scene where Marley comes back from the dead might be a little scary to some, as there are a couple of "jump" scenes. The Ghosts aren't too scary but for some it might be a little uncomfortable. For most of the movie, my little ones kept their 3D glass off and it didn't seem to affect their viewing the movie. In some cases, it might have made what I thought might scare them a little less offensive.

I will admit, I'm a softy and did tear up a couple of times in the scenes with the Ghost of Christmas Future. Seeing the reactions of Scrooge's character in response to the outcome of Tiny Tim tore at my heart.

Overall, I would give this movie 5 out of 5 stars!! This is a great family movie, especially during the holiday season. I had originally intended for us to see this on Thanksgiving day after we had our meal but hubby and I decided we just couldn't wait!! Once we viewed the movie, we made a trip to our local Borders and bought a copy of the book to read to our children. We have decided that it will become one of the traditional things we will do with our children during the holiday season...read the book and watch the movie. This is one movie we will purchase to keep for many years to come!

You can view a video trailer of this show here. For those with small children or those who are concerned about what your children/family might see/hear, there is only one "bad word" that I recall hearing in the movie and if you are not listening critically, you might not even hear it. Otherwise, this is a mom-approved, child-friendly, family-recommended movie!

Happy Holidays!!


Bookmark and Share







1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this review. This was one of 2 movies for us to go see this past weekend. Instead of this one we went to see Cirque Du Freak: Vampires Assistant, which I have reviewed over at my blog. But, I am a sucker for the classic christmas movies as well so I figure we will see this one before it is all over with.

    Thanks for the great review, now I am kind of wishing we saw this, although Vampires Assistant was rather good too ~ just in a different genre.

    We are going to have to go to this one as well now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete