Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Last Christian by David Gregory

The Last Christian: A Novel The Last Christian: A Novel by David Gregory


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
What if you were the last Christian on the face of the earth? What would you do? That's how it is Abby. She's grown up on an island in Papau New Guinea and when her tribe is all murdered, she goes to America to try to find out why. It's like stepping into a Brave New World for her. Everything is so different and no one believes in God whatsoever. Virtual reality is an easy escape, cars are automated, and people communicate through taps on a grid system.

Abby's cousin Lauren is her only remaining family and Lauren is too busy in her political campaign to give Abby the time of day...unless of course it's to tell her not to talk about her Christianity. Lauren feels it will not bode well for her to be connected to this religious zealot. Lauren's life partner Sabin takes Abby under his wing and begins to help Abby adjust to life outside of the tribe.

Lots of mystery and suspense fill this book that could be compared to Brave New World (which I absolutely hated by the way...maybe because it was REQUIRED reading in school and I don't like people telling me what to read?!?!) I could have read this book so much faster but it was one of those books that I didn't want to end so I read it slower! It is very thought provoking, even though fiction, and I pondered many points of the book. What would I do if I was the last Christian on the Earth? What if technology was really that advanced as it was in this book and I could do a brain transplant? Would I do it?

I pondered these questions on so many different angles and it's a book that will stick with me for quite some time. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys utopian/dystopian society, a good suspense, and a deep thought provoking novel!

View all my reviews >>

Many thanks to Staci Carmichael for providing a review copy to read.
Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. I am really wanting to read this book!

    ReplyDelete