Saturday, May 29, 2010

By Darkness Hid by Jill Williamson


It's hard for me to believe that this is Jill Williamson's first novel! Any child needing a great book to read this summer should pick up this tale about Achan, Vrell, and others! I found myself lost in this world of knights, squires, and peasants immediately. Ms. Williamson weaves a tale of these young people in a way that would attract any lover of sci-fi, magic, or royalty! When asked by my students what this book compares to, I had to answer a mixture between Harry Potter (Vrell is very Hermione-like in my opinion) and The Chronicles of Narnia series. This book is classified as christian science fiction and one would not find any inappropriate words or scenes included. Readers may be discouraged by the length of this book (490 pages) but rest assured, it is jam packed with action! I became frustrated when I couldn't read for long periods of time due to school and family issues these past couple of weeks. Had I been free to read, I would have finished this one in 2 days or less.

I just received the next book, By Darkness Fled, in the mail yesterday and I'm trying to get it worked into my reading schedule asap!! It's not one that I can wait til the end of summer to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment