Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Country House Courtship by Linore Rose Burkard

The Country House Courtship (A Regency Inspirational Romance) The Country House Courtship by Linore Rose Burkard


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is the first book I've read by Linore Rose Burkard and I LOVED it! Many people have compared this book to something of the Jane Eyre era and I'm just going to have to take their word for it because I've never read any Jane Eyre!

I was a bit concerned when first received this book to read since it is the third in a series. However, I heard that it could be read as a standalone so I gave it a try. I never felt lost or like I was missing a piece of the story. I do, however, want to go back and read the first two books in the series!

Beatrice is a young woman who is full of anticipation about her "coming out". The only problem is that her mother thinks she's not ready yet. Beatrice is pleading with her sister Ariana (who, by the way, just recently married into a very wealthy and respectable position) to take her to London. Mr. Mornay (Ariana's husband) is needing to secure a vicar and before long, two men are present at Abington to apply for such a position. When Beatrice appears attractive to both of them, and she with an eye for each one of them, whatever is a girl to do? It's only after a couple of significant, trying events, that the decision is made for her.

I found myself hearing the dialects of the characters and envisioning the homes, the beautiful finery, and the carriages. I longed to escape there on a Saturday morning after a long week of work. I even caught myself wanting to refer to my family members as "Mr", "Miss", and "Master". They would have thought I'd lost my mind had I done so but I was so wrapped up in the story that it could have very well happened.

I identified with Beatrice in this story on so many different levels and was anxious to see what "we" would do next. I was not disappointed, not even in the least!

I wish to extend a special thanks to the author and publisher for providing this copy for me to review.

I'm so excited that I was able to finish this book today!! :)

View all my reviews >>

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. I loved this too!!!!! I'm really looking forward to reading 1 and 2 too!!!

    ReplyDelete