Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Bartimaeus Trilogy Book One: The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud

The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus Trilogy, #1) The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I read this book for a book club event here on Goodreads and on Facebook. I found it very enjoyable and just wish I could have read it faster. I simply did not have time in the past 3 weeks to devote to reading like I would have wished.

My favorite character in this book, hands down, is Bartimaeus. He's a snarky little djinni who always has a smart comment to make about something! At first I didn't like all the footnotes (his snarky remarks) but eventually I got over it and found him to be a very likable character. However, I found Nathaniel to be a bit eccentric and I don' think I like his "higher than all" superiority. He had much too big a head for a twelve year old and I can see where some youngsters might pick up on this and try to run their parents (not that they don't try that anyway!)

The book was a little heavy on "meaningless chatter" and at times I wondered if there was going to be a point to what was being said. Eventually it all came out but, in my opinion, the book would have been just as enjoyable with about 100 fewer pages.

Lots of action and humor and recommend this book to all readers, young and seasoned!

This is a book that I purchased many years ago that has been sitting in my library for quite some time. Fortunately, I had an opportunity to actually read it! :)

View all my reviews >>

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. My hubby would love this book! Great review!

    ReplyDelete