Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Yesterday's Promise by Linda Lee Chaikin

Yesterday's Promise (East of the Sun, #2) Yesterday's Promise by Linda Lee Chaikin


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Really should be more like 3.5 stars!

From Goodreads: He fought to seek his fortune.
Would he lose a greater treasure: the love he left behind?

As the son of the squire of Grimston Way, aristocrat Rogan Chantry has fought hard to win his independence from Sir Julien Bley and the British South Africa Company. Now, his pursuit of a mysterious deposit of gold, marked on a map willed to him by his murdered uncle, Henry Chantry, is challenged by a new complication: the impending British colonization of South Africa. Can Sir Rogan find the gold in the midst of escalating tensions among the native tribesmen, the missionaries sent to win them, and the new colonists?

Meanwhile, Evy Varley, the woman Rogan loves back in England, is headed for a brave yet dangerous confrontation with Henry’s killer–but at what price? With so much against Rogan and Evy, a reunion seems improbable, if not impossible. Can yesterday’s promise hold them faithful to the hope of future freedom and a victorious love?

My Review:

I'm a little indifferent towards this book and I really hate to be. I'm not sure if it's because this is the second book in a series (I haven't read the first one yet), if it's the book's setting, or what it might be. For me, this book was just....alright. I did love the names of Rogan and Evy..beautiful names! I also liked the mystery involving Evy and the cottage. For some reason, the twins and Wally kinda reminded me of characters out of Nancy Drew. The whole fiasco of the gold and diamonds just didn't really grab me though. While I feel the book sorta dragged throughout, the last 4 or 5 chapters really captured my interest again so I guess there are some redeeming qualities if you hold out until the end. Overall this wasn't a bad book, it just didn't hold my interest as much as I was hoping it would. Since reading this book, I have ordered the first and third books in the series. I'm curious to know what I missed out on in the first book, and I'm dying to know what happens with Evy and Rogan in book 3.

Thank you to Waterbrook Multnomah for providing a review copy of this book for me to read.

This book qualifies for the following challenges: A-Z Author, A-Z Book, 100+ Reading, Christian Historical Fiction

View all my reviews >>

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment