Friday, October 27, 2023

I'm very proud of this!!


It's been a LONG time since I've featured something that I've made. I crochet just about every day and usually have anywhere from 4-6 projects in the works at any given time. I am going to try to showcase more of my work here, as well as continue to post book reviews as well. If only I could master reading and crocheting at the same time!! I have tried audiobooks but I can't keep interest in them. 

64,000(+) stitches. This is by far the most complex thing I've ever made in my life. There is a pretty lengthy back story to this but I'll try to keep it brief.
4 years ago, my dad was very sick and I came home to IL. While dad was in the hospital/recovering, my mom and I were playing around on Facebook and saw this picture come up. My mom looked at me and told me that I needed to get this pattern and make this for my sister. Being the good daughter and sister I am (lol), I bought the pattern and ordered the yarn...from the UK. It was waiting on me when I made it back home to GA.
I intended on starting it right away but my Etsy store started picking up and I didn't have time to work on it. The box sat in my room for a good bit before I could start it. When I did, I was only able to do a few rows before I had to put it aside again. Mom would occasionally ask me about my progress and we'd discuss how I wasn't able to work on it due to other things going on. She was so excited to be able the see the finished product.
Fast forward to 2023, I got home in late January after being with my family for about 6 months. I picked up the afghan to work on and I didn't like how it looked so I tore it completely out and started again. I made it to around row 50 and had to go back home to IL for another month and a half so it sat there again.
In April after getting back home, I looked at the 50 rows I'd done previously and decided I didn't like how it looked. Ripped it all back out completely to start all over again. That was the last time I ripped it out completely but several rows were ripped out and redone, some of them being multiple times until I could get it right. You see, several of these rows have color changes EVERY SINGLE STITCH. This took a lot of patience but today, at 11:30 am CST, I finished this. I cried doing the last two rows. It's all been very emotional for me to make this as my mom wasn't able to see the finished project (and let's not talk about the Precious Moments afghan I promised her for her 25th anniversary that was in 1999 that is still a work in progress that she won't see either). I'm so thankful that my mom and grandma taught me how to crochet and passed this love on to me. I'm trying to get my kids and grandkids to love and appreciate it too.








No comments:

Post a Comment