Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Review: A Heart to Heal by Allie Pleiter

A Heart to HealA Heart to Heal by Allie Pleiter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the second book by Allie Pleiter that I have read. She is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors!!

In A Heart to Heal, we meet guidance counselor Heather, who is working hard to make high school easier for Simon. She hopes to accomplish something by gaining the assistance and mentorship of Max Jones, who is with Adventure Access. Max, however, has a pretty wild streak even considering his mobility limitations. Can he be trusted? Will Simon's parents be ok with someone like Max teaching him the ropes of getting around in his chair and dealing with bullies like Jason Kikowitz?

First of all, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Ms. Pleiter was not afraid to write about people with mobility issues!!!! That is not a common thread in reading these days!! I applaud her for taking the chance to write Max and Simon's stories. Her descriptions of having issues reaching certain places (like tables in restaurants) is a real issue and she wrote it well! She also conveyed the raw emotions and feelings that a caregiver faces when dealing with someone with mobility issues. For the past 33 years, I've watched my mom face these challenges with her wheelchair (she has Muscular Dystrophy). In a particular restaurant scene with Heather and Simon, I could empathize with Heather...the stares, the fear of what others think, etc. It made my heart really feel for her.

The second thing that I loved most about this book was the redemption found within, for all the characters. Even though this is a work of fiction, this is a book about healing. I do think that many could find hope and healing through this book.

Many thanks to Ms. Pleiter for bringing another great story to life as well as providing an autographed review copy of this book in exchange for my personal thoughts.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment