Monday, August 18, 2014

Review: Alone at Midnight-A Collection of Horror Stories by Scott Zavoda






This is my first exposure to Scott Zavoda and his writing. This is a collection of short stories that are rather intriguing. I personally don't scare easily so I didn't see these as "horror" stories but some definitely would. There is actually quite a bit of humor infused into his writing which helped give it some levity. 

In the first story, "Oh Christmas Tree", we meet Randy who is struggling with some major addictions in his life. He has also been accused of stealing a Christmas tree. This one shows how addiction can cause some other issues in a person's life. 

In "Bobby"....this one got to me. I wanted to reach through my Kindle and show those boys "what for". Having a disabled mother, this one really disturbed me. Bullies are horrible!!

To those readers who enjoy the beach, you may want to skip over "Beneath the Sand"! This one was probably my second favorite because it was a little more mystical to me than the others. Sand seems to pile up in the house at odd times of this Vietnam Vet. Will the beach ever carry the same meaning again? 

"Castle Point" was a story that I just didn't get. Not sure what it was about it. 

"Fright Flight"  was my favorite story. This one is more along the lines of what I enjoy reading. I don't think I could ever fly a plane, let alone ride in one, with a corpse in it....at night....through a thunderstorm. My favorite character in this one? The corpse! ;) 

"Flowers for Mom" and "The Calling" were the remaining two stories. I struggled a little with these as well. Keep in mind I'm not generally a scared person when reading books or watching movies though. 

Some things my readers may want to know is that there is some strong language throughout this book. It's not "excessive, every page" kinda strong language but it's still there. Just a side note for those of you wondering! 

Overall, I enjoyed this book and I appreciate receiving a complimentary copy from the author and Tomoson in exchange for my personal review and thoughts. 

If you enjoy horror stories, I'm sure you'll find at least one story in here that will resonate with you!

Alone at Midnight Collection of Horror stories  #HorrorStories

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.


No comments:

Post a Comment