Monday, December 20, 2010

Secrets of a Christmas Box by Stephen Hornby

Secrets of a Christmas BoxSecrets of a Christmas Box by Steven Hornby

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


If you've ever wondered what happens on the Christmas tree when the family goes to sleep, this is the book for you! I also learned how my packages get those little rips in them just from sitting under the tree. It's a great way to start the holiday season reading one chapter a day right up until Christmas Day! At 25 short chapters, I envision families sitting around a fire next to the tree reading this festive story about Larry, Debbie, and Splint.

Larry is a snowman ornament who carries a tree shaped umbrella with him everywhere he goes. Debbie is an adorable reindeer who's a bit smitten with Larry. Splint is the newest ornament on the tree and is having a hard time finding a place to fit in. The tree is decorated and the family goes to bed so it's time for the "Awakening Ceremony". Larry is trying to find his brother Terrance but he's nowhere to be found. How could he have not made it to the tree this year? Larry is determined to leave the tree and find him even though it's totally against the rules. Debbie and Splint agree to help him out. Along the way, packages are torn, the evil white box purrs, and steps are mastered with a paperclip and yarn. Will Terrance be found? Can Larry, Debbie, and Splint survive this adventure into the unknown world away from the tree or the Christmas box? What happens when a mutiny happens on a Christmas tree?

I would advise parents on this one as it does become a bit violent towards the end. I wouldn't personally recommend reading this to youngsters under 8. I was going to read it to my 6 and 4 year olds and I'm glad now that I didn't before I read this. I know they would be terrified of the tree and would have nightmares as well. Otherwise, it's a great read for your yearly festivities!



View all my reviews
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment