Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Life's Too Short by Abby Jimenez

 

Life’s Too Short (The Friend Zone, #3)Life’s Too Short by Abby Jimenez
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 stars

This book was a difficult read for me, mainly because I know and have known, several people with ALS (Amytrophic Lateral Sclerosis) throughout my life. I almost couldn't finish this book once the subject was brought up but I am so glad that I did. Also, I wasn't overly impressed with how ALS was portrayed in this story. It affects everyone differently but I don't feel like this was an accurate representation at all. I'm not an expert on it though, just have seen a lot in my lifetime.

I wanted to give this book 4.5 stars because I truly enjoyed the storyline throughout. However, the language was a major turnoff for me. I almost quit reading it because of that, but by the time I was about to put it down, I was already invested in Vanessa, Adrian, and Grace's story. I was not completely surprised by the ending, I could see it coming about halfway through. That's not an issue for me though and no points taken away for that. What really upset me was the whole "gender" issue at the end of the story. It had nothing to do with the overall story itself and could have definitely been left out.

I appreciated Vanessa's take on life and how she was able to get Adrian to respond (well, most of the time anyway). I tend to be a bit more pessimistic about life but reading this book inspired me to start looking for more stars than potholes. Everyone could use a Vanessa in their life to remind them to look on the bright side even when things are tough. I do think she could have benefitted from some counseling with Adrian though and how doing the counseling together could have further deepened their relationship.

Overall, a decent read minus the issues mentioned above.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment