Wednesday, May 17, 2017

A Love So True by Melissa Jagears

A Love So True (Teaville Moral Society #2)A Love So True by Melissa Jagears
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It's 1908 and the setting is in Southeast Kansas. David Kingsman just wants to make his father proud. It's all he's ever wanted in life...to have his father say, "Well done, son!" at the end of a business deal. The glass factory is in need of something major...in the forms of a shut down and sale to the highest bidder. David struggles with this as he is in Teaville to assess the business in his father's portfolio. Is shutting down really the best answer?

Evelyn Wisely is a young, single woman with a servant's heart. She braves the red-light district of Teaville to rescue any woman who expresses an interest in leaving a soiled past for a much cleaner one. Evelyn also has a huge heart for the children in the orphanage that her family manages. Evelyn has no regard for herself or her future...and marriage is definitely not an option.

David is quite smitten when he first lays eyes on Evelyn but is very intrigued by her work in the red-light district of town. Whatever is a lady of her station doing in such desolate and dark areas? David can't seem to get Evelyn out his mind despite the denials of his advances. Will he be able to wait this journey out to win her heart?

This is the second book in the Teaville series. I did not realize this, nor was I affected by that news. I would like to go back and read the first book now, knowing that this is a series. If I were to choose a favorite character in this book, hands down it would be David. I admire his persistence, his patience, and the way in which he turned his circumstances into something much more positive. Reflecting back, I didn't realize just how giving he was, as the book really focused on the amount of giving that Evelyn exuded. David is the strongest developed character in this book and I found myself falling under his charm a time or two.

There is a portion of the book where the characters become very open about their faith and how they are going to deal with the situation at hand. There are tender moments between couples at various stages of relationships in this book. However, I would feel comfortable with my teenager reading this book.

I did have a difficult time getting into this book but I feel it was more of a matter of somethings I was going through personally when I first started this book. It did not pick up for me as quickly as I would have liked but the ending did seem to come quickly. The longer I read this, the more I did enjoy the story. Many other reviewers have had a different experience (Loving it all the way through) so again, I feel it might have been where I was in life when I started reading this book.

Many thanks to Bethany House Publishers and Melissa Jagears for providing a complimentary copy for me to review through Netgalley.com. What you have read here are my honest thoughts on this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment