Sunday, June 2, 2019

Deployed by Mel Odom

Deployed (Called to Serve, #1)Deployed by Mel Odom
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Mel Odom is a new to me author. This book captured my attention one day while I was perusing new books on Amazon to read. I immediately purchased this book and the sequel.

Deployed focuses on Lance Corporal Bekah Shaw who is a member of the Marine Reserves. She's doing all she can to support her precious son, with the help of her grandmother, while serving her country. Bekah hasn't had the easiest of lives but is blessed to have her grandmother by her side since her good-for-nothing husband decided they were no longer a priority to him. Bekah is involved in a bit of a scrap with her ex-husband shortly before finding out she has orders to go to Somalia. While the legal system is a bit slow and may cause her problems with her job, Bekah is up for the challenge.

Once in Somalia, Bekah comes face to face with a bandit named Rageh Daud who hasn't done the Marines any favors whatsoever. As a matter of fact, the Marines are searching for Daud along with several other bad guys. It's interesting to see how Bekah and her team deal with Daud in the given situation they find themselves in.

My thoughts on this book...
I enjoyed it and I would recommend it to those who have a love for military and all that they do. There are some gruesome scenes, as would be expected in a book such as this, and I feel that the author depicted them very well. I do wish the characters, especially Daud, would have been a little more developed. I felt like he was meant to be a central character but I didn't "know" him as well as Bekah.
I am looking forward to reading the sequel of this book and I'm curious as to where we will find Bekah and Daud. I'm curious as to the love aspect of this book too, wondering if it will be explored further in the next book Renegade.

As a side note, I've really slowed down on my reading lately. I wish I could crochet and read at the same time. I've been busy working on some new creations! Feel free to check out my newest items on https://www.etsy.com/shop/FaithfulGir...!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment