Friday, June 14, 2019

In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware

In a Dark, Dark WoodIn a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It's been awhile since I read a mainstream mystery book! My boss recommended this one to me and I read this entire book in one setting! I did have to look up some of the terminology as this is written in England and I wasn't familiar with some of the words used.

Nora loves her secluded life. As an author, she values her alone time to focus on her writing. Her specialty is crime novels. Nora's life runs like clockwork until she receives a mysterious email one day about her former friend Clare's upcoming hen.

Clare is getting married but she hasn't seen Nora in over 10 years. They were best friends growing up but quickly grew apart.

Flo is Clare's new best friend who is setting up this entire weekend hen. Everything is planned out to the second and no one better mess with her plan! Flo is so intertwined in Clare's life that some might confuse one for the other.

Nina is a doctor and is one of Nora's friends from childhood. She also receives the email from Flo about the upcoming hen. Neither Nora or Nina are super excited about going but they decide to go together.

This book is full of suspenseful plot twists! Just as I thought I knew who was responsible for the major incident that occurs (I'll not give out spoilers!), my mind is shifted to another possible suspect. In the end, the real culprit was my #2 suspicion.

Fair warning: there is pretty heavy language in this book as well as some adult themes. There is also a lot of drinking and drugs used. I would caution younger readers and wouldn't recommend to anyone who may be sensitive to the topics listed.

This is not my typical read but, putting the language aside, I did enjoy the story.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment