Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Review: Courting Miss Amsel by Kim Vogel Sawyer

Courting Miss AmselCourting Miss Amsel by Kim Vogel Sawyer

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The Bible that is falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't. (pg. 181)



Wow...how true are those words?! It's sayings such as these that have drawn me to this book and new-to-me-author Kim Vogel Sawyer



Miss Edythe Amsel moves away from her family to take a teaching position in the small town of Walnut Hill. Like all first year teachers, Miss Amsel puts her heart and soul into teaching these young minds. She does not anticipate having to deal with the scrutiny of what she is teaching however! Miss Amsel teaches about longitude, latitude, bugs, etc while the townsfolk are disappointed in her methods. Do they not realize that this education they are receiving could help with their own farms?? As a teacher, I was bothered by the attitude and lack of education of the townsfolk who were berating her. The townsfolk are not her only issues though. There's lil William who just won't behave, her sister Missy, and then the single men vying for her attention!



Miss Amsel is here to teach, not to marry so she sets the menfolk straight pretty fast. As soon as the men find out she's not one to have a relationship with God, they begin to see her a bit differently. Will she find God and a man in Walnut Hill?



I identified with Edythe on many levels in this book but my heart went out to William. I doubt that I would have had the patience that Edythe exhibited when it came to William but there was something about him that drew me to him. In some ways I felt sorry for him but in others I wanted to fling him over my knee and give him "what for". The author didn't give a lot of background on his family so I just speculated that his family life wasn't what it could have been and that he just needed some attention. I do believe that Edythe accomplished her point in this story.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment